Point Bonita Lighthouse
Located north of the Golden Gate Bridge, Point Bonita was originally built in 1855. Due to heavy fog in that area the lighthouse was relocated to the current site in 1877. When fog obscured the light signal from the second order Fresnel lens a cannon was used to warn ships. After only four years the cannon was replaced by a fog bell and then a steam siren in 1874.
In 1981, the last California light keeper left Point Bonita and is now maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The station is also part of the Golden Gate Recreation area operated by the National Parks service. To view the lighthouse, visitors must navigate a half-mile trail that can be a bit steep in places. Point Bonita was also featured in the 2013 movie “The Internship”.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2017