East Brother Light
Construction began in 1873 on the rectangular, six room wood structure featuring Victorian style trim. Located on an island near San Pablo Point, two lighthouse keepers, their families and a third keeper called East Brother their home. First light occurred on March 1, 1874.
Like many lighthouses, East Brother was automated in July of 1969 and joined the list of National Register of Historic Places in 1971. A non-profit group called the East Brother Light Station Inc. formed in 1979 to restore the structure. About 300 volunteers turned the historic building into a bed and breakfast. The first guests arrived in November 1980 and remains a popular destination for lighthouse enthusiasts and romantics at heart.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2017